blog*spot


LOUIS RICH TURKEY BACON

30.8.03

And it's becoming acceptable


WELL... So.. how 'bout that Odyssey? With the.. uhh.. casting. And the.. great script? I really wish I had a knife-in-my-eye-and-you're-twisting-it emoticon, or perhaps a murder-sclecta one.

So.. How many people said it? 50% of the people I know, at least. So Eric is Odysseus. Everyone knew it was going to happen, and the ones that said it wouldn't were in denial. Eric is his little pet, and no matter how wrong he is for a role, he gets the lead. Eric is tiny, and he in no way could play a badass like Odysseus. Odysseus is not a nice guy. He gets things done any way he can, stabbing people in the eye and sleeping with countless women (actually.. only like 4).. this.. is not Eric. Eric is neither manly or intense. Completely wrong for the role. Either Nolan or Talon should have gotten it. Nolan is a big guy who can act, and I'm guessing if he got the chance he could deffinately be a badass. Same for Talon.

And on the same subject.. Emily for Penelope. How many people didn't see that coming? Eric gets lead male, Emily female. Thats just how it works with Sclecta. Emily can't act as well as she used to be able to, and the part isn't right for her. She'll be able to pull it off, but shes not the best for the role. Sara Rhum would have been fantastic.

Telemachus.. I don't know how big a role he has in this, but Givan is all wrong for him. First of all, hes bigger than Eric. Hes also asian. And his acting style doesn't fit how Telemachus is supposed to be. I can't think of a perfect person to play him, but the first that comes to my mind is Collin. And if Michael Sutherland could act a little bit better, him too. But at least Givan can act.

I don't really want to get into the other people, because I want to pretened that the rest of the cast doesn't exist.. but.. why not. Ok.. with the castaways. Jed would have made a perfect Gilligan, but he didn't try out this year. Michael works, but it's not the ideal part for him. Sam as the skipper? No. I mean, Sam is flexible enough to make it work, but it's all wrong. Skipper is a big loveable teddy bear (...dont.. say.. a word. :| ), a big silly guy. Not really what Sam should be doing. Sam's too good to play a big bumbling oaf.

Thurston Howell... Evan? No. This is all wrong. Evan is a decent actor (even HE would have made a better Odysseus than his brother), but his acting doesnt fit howell at all. I guess Noel works for Mrs. Howell, but she's a better actress than that. And she would have worked great in Go-go boots, heh. Sam was really the only choice for Ginger, so that's good. The professor.. Corey? I'm sorry, but thats the second worst casting in the show. The professor rules. He's cool and calm. Smart. Corey.. is not. Evan (newman) should have gotten Professor. That would have worked great. And Eden is perfect as Mary Ann.

I don't know who the master of ceremonies is, or Cody Harris for that matter, so I have no opinion. Talon as the stranger.. it's as close to getting Odysseus as you can be without actually being cast as him, heh. It'll be interesting seeing Talon as an old man. But I don't know what exactly the role entails, so I'll save my opinion. Athena.. Carrie works, so that's okay. Erin as Circe.. who didn't see that coming? It works, so why not. Deanna as Calypso.. err.. not too sure about that one.. Sara as the "nurse." Talon and I came up that this role actually means Odysseus' mother, so in this case.. I feel really bad for Sara. She's a great actress, and Sclecta keeps sticking her with the old woman role. But.. if the part has any meat to it, it should work good.

The suitors.. I guess they work. Collin and Cliff are probably the two least suited, but I can visually see Cliff as a suitor, and I can see Collin acting it, so it's okay. Nolan really got stiffed, though. The sailors.. Most of these peolpe shouldn't have been in the show. But if they have to be.. I guess they work as sailors. I'm only hoping they don't have speaking parts. Polyphemus has way too many girls and not enough guys. Neither Evan or Ryan have deep voices, or loud ones for that matter. So they'll be drowned out by the girls. And I don't know how hes planning on doing Scylla, so I have no opinion.

The Sirens/Handmaidens all work.. not sure about Katherine Roloff though.. she's a good enough actress (if I'm even thinking of the right person), but.. aren't the Sirens supposed to be.. suductresses? Titanic survivors were all a bad idea in the first place, but.. all women? I'm confused. Maybe it's just that we were short on guys.

Overall, the casting has a few decent people, and depending on the script, it could actually work out fairly well. But that's only if the script is good. And I'm doubting Sclecta could pull it off. And I've heard from people that have read it that it's as terrible as you could possibly imagine. Oh well. I mean, if this was a full on parody of Broadway, or if the script was written by someone other than Sclecta.. It might have worked. It certainly wouldn't have worked well as a serious production with the type of "quality" FHS's drama department keeps churning out (well, speech team is good at least). But it should have been a different play. And don't get me started on the set. Did all of you know that ship on the stage is finished? ...Yeah. Shea didn't want it like that. He had big plans for this set along with Hosbond. And then Sclecta told him to keep the boat how it was. Now Shea is fucking pissed. And I would be if I were him too. He has nobody helping him (hopefully I'll have some time next week to give him a bit) other than a few slackers who never show up, he has to do tons of stuff all by himself, make it all really shitty to Sclecta's specifications.. etc. This is going to be a disaster. ......of Titanic perportions. (HAR! ...but seriously. Sorry about that joke).

Evan's was fun last night. But they should have let me play Amplitude single player. The pocky was great, Xenogears was actually pretty entertaining to watch after a while, the company was good.. so yay :D
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?